Friday, February 13, 2009

This Ship is Sinking...Or is it?

Because I am a working mom, I have the "privilege" to be able to leave my home everyday for a job I love: teaching. However, I am a internet junkie at heart, and I love to pretend that one day I will be a WAHM (work at home mom) again. This would mean that I would be able to attend field trips with my two school-aged daughters and attend play dates with my two (2) year old.

Budget cuts are looming in the world of education as with every other profession. I am somewhat worried that my "ship" may be sinking. What will I do? I have several back up plans. I am trying to organize my finances, and I am writing consistantly for eHow.com. At first, I wrote to make a little extra play money. However, my earnings seem to be rising week-by-week. I am now looking into writing for Demand Studios (eHow's parent company) at least part-time.

I am very blessed to have a good paying job that is close to home, but if I lost my job tomorrow, I still have my graduate school commitment, a great family, and a decent back up plan. In the end, I am really glad I perused a degree in English (my mom said I would never find a job. In fairness to her, this was said before the age of the Internet boom.). In short, my ship may be sinking, but I have a few sturdy life boats. If it does not sink, then I have a stable supplementary income.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, mommy! I saw your article in Bukisa. I also have a daughter and she's 22 months now. You're lucky you have fall back just in case you lose your day job. I went back to work when daughter is 4 months, but her dad wants me to look after her so I stayed home and tried writing. So far I'm earning some cents a day and it's really hard work since I have promote my articles. I'm trying to write SEO articles but haven't been really into it.

    I didn't go to college. I'm glad that there are opportunities that I can still grab like this.

    ReplyDelete